Feb. 12, 2016 // This Week’s Notebook: NATCA Scholarship Deadline, Veteran’s Day T-Shirts, Seminar Dates, and Much More!
Just a few weeks remain until the March 1 deadline to submit applications for the annual NATCA Scholarship Program.
- Spouses, children, stepchildren, and legally adopted children of active, retired, and deceased NATCA members.
- Applicants or their family member must have two years of continuous good standing, active union membership prior to submission of application.
- Applicants or their family member must be enrolled in an accredited college or university.
Please click here for an application form.
Applications must be postmarked no later than March 1, 2016.
Applicants wishing to receive confirmation of receipt of their applications should send a self-addressed stamped postcard along with the application.
Applications should be sent to:
Attn: Scholarship Fund
1325 Massachusetts Ave. NW
Washington, D.C., 20005
A notification letter will be sent to all applicants announcing their approval or denial of scholarship funds by April 30, 2016.
In addition to USPS mail, members can also email a PDF of their application and essay to [email protected].
- Awards will be based on a lottery system.
- Applicants must qualify for the lottery by submitting an application as well as an essay. The essay must follow the outlined question and contain no more than 500 words.
- NATCA’s President and Executive Vice President will judge qualifications for the lottery.
- Please submit an essay of no more than 500 words.
- Please ensure that you send your essay with the completed application. Essays sent separately will not be considered.
- In your essay, please describe your career goals and aspirations, and highlight the importance of the union and the labor movement to your family and/or yourself and why you are deserving of a union scholarship.
- Essays must be applicants’ own work.
Due to a large amount of requests for NATCA Veterans Day t-shirts, another order is going to be placed and we want to give you and your facilities an opportunity to participate!
In an attempt to minimize the cost to the members, we ask that each facility designate one point of contact and place one order per facility.
The shirts will be $20 each, plus shipping, which is about $0.50 a shirt, plus a $5.75 drop fee per facility. The shirts are 50/50 material from American Apparel (50 percent combed cotton/50 percent polyester). Five dollars per shirt will be donated to Active Heroes. The last order of t-shirts resulted in a total of $3,530 raised for charity.
Active Heroes is dedicated to connecting and helping America’s military families through physical and mental therapy, home repairs, community outreach, financial assistance, and community integration to halt the triggering points and stress that lead to veteran suicide. For more information on this organization, please visit www.ActiveHeroes.org.
The order will be submitted by close of business Friday, Feb. 26, so get your order in by that morning. Shirts should be at your doorstep by the start of Communicating for Safety 2016. If you’re interested, please email [email protected] with the subject title, “Veterans Shirts 2016.”
Registration for Run for the Angels at Orlando Executive Airport is now open! The 5K run, partially sponsored by the NATCA Charitable Foundation, will benefit Angel Flight Southeast, a charity dedicated to providing free air transportation to medical facilities for citizens who are financially distressed or otherwise unable to travel on public transportation. The event will be held on March 26, 2016 at 8 a.m. Participants will travel 3.1 miles on and around the airport, through two water stops, and through and around hangars. The event features close up views of the many aircraft hosted at Orlando Executive Airport, views of downtown Orlando, and Sponsor and Vendor tents at the start and finish lines. Register for this great event here!
Store Item of the Week: Luggage Tag
Luggage tags are one of the most important travel accessories you can own. Whether you are taking a vacation by air or a short weekend trip by train, luggage tags can help make identifying your luggage a quick and easy process. Try our rigid, plastic, heavy-duty luggage tag holder with 6-inch clear loop. Measures: 4 and 3/4 inches by 2 and 3/4 inches by 3/16 of an inch. NATCA logo is featured in white imprint with permanent “write-on” back for addresses. Comes in a pack of 10 per color — black, blue, green, or red — or assorted. Made in U.S.A. Price: $8.95 per pack of 10.
Click here to view the item and order at natcastore.com. Select USPS or UPS as your shipping preference on your orders. Remember, apparel and luggage tags take three-to-four weeks to deliver. If you need items by a certain date, please contact NATCA Store Customer Service for arrangements. Expedited shipping charges may apply.
To check on stock availability or for further assistance, call 800-266-0895 or email [email protected].
Benefit Spotlight: Can you guess what day is just around the corner this month?
If you’re like me, the first thing that came to your mind was spring training. But the correct answer would be Valentine’s Day! Time to show our loved ones how much they are appreciated. What better way to express that appreciation than with a beautiful bouquet of flowers or a gift basket filled with their favorite goodies!
What makes it an even better idea? Members of NATCA qualify for a 20 percent discount with Teleflora and Gift Tree when you log on through the UnionPlus website. From small to large arrangements of flowers, to food, wine, and spa baskets, you’re sure to find the perfect gift that tells that special someone you’re thinking of them.
Great selection means a great gift, a great discount means a great price! No more problems showing up empty handed on Valentine’s Day!
Cambridge Corner: Think Big
Getting a tax refund? Put it to good use. Using your refund to improve your financial situation can offer long-term benefits. Here are several ways that “extra” money can help you become more financially secure.
- Boost your emergency fund: Having cash for unexpected expenses can keep you from charging repairs and other costs on a high-interest credit card. Don’t have an emergency fund? Use your refund to start one.
- Reduce your debt: Paying off loans or credit card balances will cut your interest expense and leave you with more money for other things. Eliminating debt should be a priority.
- Invest more: Adding to your retirement portfolio can help you reach your goal. Look for asset classes that may be underrepresented to round out your holdings.
- Pump up the college coffers: Putting extra cash in your child’s college savings account can help you prepare for future higher education expenses.
Call 888-900-4690 or click here for more information on how Cambridge Financial Partners can help you.
Upcoming Retirement Seminar Dates Provided by 4 SQUARE:
We are now offering Career Optimization and Retirement Education (C.O.R.E.) Seminars in many cities! These seminars are geared towards employees with 0-15 years of service who want to maximize their retirement benefits and plan for financial stability in retirement. Log in to the Portal today to see which cities are offering this great new program.
NATCA EDGE – Designed exclusively for NATCA members!
Can’t get to a seminar? We’ll bring the seminar to you!
Presenting an all-new, flexible access, web-based session of our popular retirement benefits seminar:
To register for a session, please visit portal.natca.net.
Personalized benefit estimate for participants paid for is an exclusive benefit for NATCA members. You will never be solicited or sold anything ever!
For any questions or problems with registration, contact Grace Colby, NATCA Executive Administrative Assistant at 202-220-9829 or [email protected].